The Ramblings of Cfc


12 July 2010

Philosophy from a Five Year Old

I thought I would post about my middle son. Usually, it's my oldest or my daughter who get the blog space, but child #2 was really on a roll yesterday, and repeating the stories to two friends of mine made me laugh again, so I thought I would share.

Yesterday was a day for him to philosophize.

First, was my daughter wanting her birthday to be on St. Patrick's Day. She wants a St. Patrick's Day birthday, but her birthday is in January. Birthdays are on the brain because my husband just had a birthday and I'm putting together thanfiction's gift, and they were listing all the days that you get presents.

She was complaining about her birthday not being on St. Patrick's Day, and my son said, "When you're born, that's when your birthday is, and you stick to that."

Makes sense to me.

Then, he says, "It's funny how the thing has the same name that it is."

We pondered this, and asked, "What do you mean?"

"Well," he stated very matter-of-factly, "a lion...is...a...lion."

We nodded in agreement. Yes, it is.

"And do you know, that there is a chicken that is an animal. And there's a chicken that you eat."

My husband looked at me, and said, "This is that time - do we make him a vegetarian because the wrong word now..."

My son also has some trouble with some words because of his speech, but we like the way he says them, so we're really bad about correcting them.

He'll say: maglet instead of magnet.
He'll say: merote instead of remote.
He'll say: whore instead of or. (This one's a bit embarrasing.)
He'll say: Machanukah instead of Chanukah.

You know, typing it out, it looks like he may be hearing too many 'm's.

He's very logical, and this was a very entertaining car ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment